[openal] Buffer fill callback

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 14:55:01 EST 2017

On 02/11/2017 01:41 AM, Anders Genell wrote:
> In some (many?) audio applications the way to avoid hardware buffer
> underruns is to have the audio interface driver ask the application
> for more data when (part of) a buffer has been consumed. That way
> processing rate will essentially be controlled by the audio hardware.
> In our case we use Csound under Linux to generate audio. Using the
> Csound API we can tell Csound to generate one chunk of audio data at
> a time, and by choosing the chunk size to be the same as buffer or
> period size things will sync up nicely.
>
> If we want to transfer that audio data to OpenAL-soft buffers,
> however, there seem to be a need to poll for buffer fill rate, which
> would mean we need to choose an appropriate polling frequency to
> ensure buffers are never empty. If I have understood things correctly
> this will not sync up as nicely to the audio hardware. In our case,
> OpenAL-soft uses the alsa backend, so the hardware buffer callback
> would be available in theory. My question is: is there some way to
> have OpenAL-soft handle hardware buffer callbacks like that?

Hi.

If I'm understanding right, you're asking if there's a way to have
OpenAL Soft run a callback when a buffer is processed and it's time to
unqueue+refill+requeue one? If so, then the answer is no. Even if it
could, you'd have to treat the callback as being in a "restricted"
real-time context; you wouldn't be able to make calls that can block, or
otherwise take an indeterminate amount of time (ALSA callbacks are like
this too, if not more restricted since they can also happen in a signal
handler and you have to worry about re-entrance). Since OpenAL calls
don't guarantee real-time or re-entrance safety (they can internally
block/wait for some resources to be ready), you'd effectively only be
able to signal another thread that it's time to work. So the worker
thread is just going to wait around until it sees it can work anyway.

I had thought about adding methods that could allow the application to
wait/sleep until some buffers are processed on a source, rather than
polling in a loop. But that would only help if you don't have any other
processing to do, since you couldn't do anything else while waiting.
Otherwise it's best to just check regularly with your main loop.