[openal] OpenAL Soft 1.18.0 released!

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 13:10:48 EDT 2017

It took far too long, but the latest release is now available:

http://openal-soft.org/

Highlights of this release include improved reverb processing, increased
resource limits (more auxiliary effect slots, and more sources and
source sends when requested at context creation), several new rendering
options (including UHJ output, dual-band processing, distance
compensation, and near-field simulation), several new extensions, and
improved HRTF quality. There is also support for opening devices on
Windows with its DeviceID or GUID (to help with VR headset integration),
and experimental support for audio capture on Android.

The new extensions supported in this release are:
<https://icculus.org/alextreg/index.php?operation=op_showext&extname=AL_EXT_STEREO_ANGLES>
<https://icculus.org/alextreg/index.php?operation=op_showext&extname=AL_EXT_SOURCE_RADIUS>
<http://openal-soft.org/openal-extensions/SOFT_gain_clamp_ex.txt>
<http://openal-soft.org/openal-extensions/SOFT_source_resampler.txt>
<http://openal-soft.org/openal-extensions/SOFT_source_spatialize.txt>
<http://openal-soft.org/openal-extensions/SOFT_output_limiter.txt>

Currently, the immediate plan for the future is to add support for
dual-ear HRTF measurements, and creating mhr files from SOFA files. I
also intend to work on new extensions to support effect chains and
better control over output (e.g. more configurable parameters for the
limiter and dithering). No doubt, plenty more will come along the way.

I know it's been quite long since the last release, so thanks for your
patience. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or comments.