[openal] Speaker test

Anders Genell anders.genell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 16:14:35 EDT 2017

Hi again, sorry for the huge delay - I kind of forgot about this but was recently reminded so I thought I'd get back here once more.

First: congrats on the new release - great work!
Second: upon installing a fresh system I realized alsoft.conf is now referring to a jack backend in addition to the previous ones (alsa, pulse etc.) - this is brilliant and something I believe I even posted a request for way back! Yay!!

Ok, back to business.

So, does OpenAL Soft use a matrix of predefined possible speaker positions when decoding b-format (there are som standard ones related to the wave-x format in some way, isn't there?) or how is the b-format otherwise decoded to a speaker array?

You say a multi-channel audio file may or may not have corresponding output channels, but if the number or channels in the file or stream exactly matches the number of channels in the output format set in alsoft.conf should they then at least match channel to channel?

The we could simply create a speaker test file or stream that has the required number of channels..?

Also, what kind of b-format decoder does OpenAL Soft use? Would it be possible to have it decode to a horribly skewed speaker setup that would need both angular and time/phase correction?

Regards
Anders