[openal] 1.18.2 release soon

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 13:50:44 EDT 2017

Thanks to a recent issue report
<https://github.com/kcat/openal-soft/issues/148>, a bug was discovered
in some implementations of fegetenv and/or fesetenv on Windows that
prevented the FPU rounding mode from being properly reset to its
original state. As a result, certain function calls (notably
alcCreateContext) could change the FPU rounding mode to round-to-zero
and leave it at that when returning to the application, causing the
application to have an incorrect FPU rounding mode from that point on.
This does not affect Linux, macOS, or other Unix/POSIX-based OSs as far
as I can tell, just Windows (MinGW-w64 builds at least, maybe MSVC too
but that's unconfirmed). This does unfortunately include the pre-built
Windows binaries.

Given the severity of that issue, I'm going to make a 1.18.2 release
relatively soon with this fix. It's going to be branched off at 1.18.1
as a new v1.18 branch with certain other cherry-picked fixes from
master. It won't include most features or other significant changes that
have been added since 1.18.1 that could do with more time in testing. If
there's any other fixes you think should be cherry-picked for 1.18.2
that haven't yet been, please let me know.

Thanks for reading and sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused.