[openal] Open specific output device on Mac OS X

Cyril Drouet cyril.drouet at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 18:42:56 EDT 2018

Hi,

I have used OpenAL Soft on Windows and Linux for a few years already but
this is the first time I'm using it on Mac OS X. I'm trying to open a
specific output device but things seem to work a bit differently on this
platform. When I list the devices, I only get "CoreAudio Default". It seems
that it will always use the default device the user selected in his
preferences and switch device automatically if the user selects a different
device (or if the device is disconnected).

Is there a way for OpenAL to use a specific device? I can list the
available audio devices using the CoreAudio API, but I don't see a way to
use that with OpenAL.

If there isn't a way with OpenAL, does anyone have a solution to do that
through CoreAudio? I'm not very familiar with CoreAudio but it seems that I
would need to get the AudioUnit used by OpenAL in order to change which
audio device to use. It that even possible?

Thanks,
Cyril