[openal] Open specific output device on Mac OS X

James Turner zakalawe at mac.com
Wed Apr 4 05:16:33 EDT 2018

> On 3 Apr 2018, at 23:42, Cyril Drouet <cyril.drouet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have used OpenAL Soft on Windows and Linux for a few years already but this is the first time I'm using it on Mac OS X. I'm trying to open a specific output device but things seem to work a bit differently on this platform. When I list the devices, I only get "CoreAudio Default". It seems that it will always use the default device the user selected in his preferences and switch device automatically if the user selects a different device (or if the device is disconnected).
>
> Is there a way for OpenAL to use a specific device? I can list the available audio devices using the CoreAudio API, but I don't see a way to use that with OpenAL.
>
> If there isn't a way with OpenAL, does anyone have a solution to do that through CoreAudio? I'm not very familiar with CoreAudio but it seems that I would need to get the AudioUnit used by OpenAL in order to change which audio device to use. It that even possible?

This needs some extension to OpenAL code on Mac. I would also really like it for FlightGear, and I know sufficient CoreAudio to say, the work is not very difficult, but I didn’t find a spare weekend so far to contribute a patch. But I think it’s only a few hours work, the CoreAudio API is not so complex.

I would really recommend fixing this in the OpenAL code BTW, manipulating audio-units directly gets more complex fast, is my limited experience. (CoreAudio API is application facing, AudioUnits API is meant for people writing new filters and plugins)

Kind regards,
James