[openal] Attenuation Roll-Off problems (too silent)

Roland Plüss roland at rptd.ch
Fri May 20 08:40:23 EDT 2022

That does not sound very usable. I've created my game engine to be
predictable to avoid trial-and-error. I'm also using CPU ray-tracing to
do a form of aurealization. Messing with roll-off and reference-distance
makes this difficult.

Let's get back to the conversation example. When a person is standing
across the room then I can not set the volume to 4 or more to make it
audible. This would mean the person speaks as loud as a car engine or
something similar. This also means whenever a person moves you have to
adjust the gain to make it louder when further away.

There has to be a sane way to set this value in a physically plausible way.