[openal] problem enabling HRTF extension

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 11:56:35 EDT 2016

On 06/02/2016 07:19 AM, JUNGMIN KIM wrote:
> I'm using openal-soft 1.17.2, and want to use HRTF extension, ALC_SOFT_HRTF.
>
> The problem is, it seems the audio device in my computer doesn't support
> HRTF extension.
>
> That is, with this function code in my application,
> alcGetIntegerv(device, ALC_HRTF_SOFT, 1, &hrtf_state);
> hrtf_state returns false.
>
> And here is a message from openal-info,

Hi.

It seems OpenAL Soft isn't being used, and it's instead using the
Generic Software driver (which doesn't do HRTF). Make sure the OpenAL
Soft DLL is in the right place, and you have the proper 32-bit or 64-bit
one (trying to use the 32-bit DLL with a 64-bit app, or the 64-bit DLL
with a 32-bit app, won't work).

Don't forget to check for the ALC_SOFT_HRTF extension before using it,
too. Requesting and querying ALC_HRTF_SOFT on a device without that
extension is going to cause errors and can leave variables in an
undefined state (in the above example, hrtf_state could randomly end up
being true sometimes if it wasn't initialized or if the driver does
something silly with it when querying an unknown value).