[openal] GNU Lesser General Public License - how do I correctly use OpenAL (soft)

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Sun May 7 10:55:43 EDT 2017

On 05/07/2017 05:31 AM, Zuzu Typ wrote:
> Dear reader(s),

Hi!

> I'm actually German, therefore it is especially hard reading the License
> Information.
>
> So here is what I think I have to do:
> 1. The usual, don't claim it's my work, etc.
> 2. Put the license info somewhere in my distribution (in my case it is
> currently in a text file "LICENSE.TXT" ) - with license info I mean the
> contents of "COPYING" in GitHub
> <https://github.com/kcat/openal-soft/blob/master/COPYING>
> 3. Supply a link to the license (GNU LGPL 2.0
> <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.0.txt>).
> 4. Use OpenAL Soft as a dynamic library, (.DLL), that can be modified by
> the end user.
> 5. Supply a "written offer" to cantact me, in order to receive a full
> machine-readable source code (event though I don't know what they mean by
> machine-readable).

As far as I know, this is fine. Note though that you don't actually need
to do Step 3. If you actually supply the license, you don't need to
provide a link to it. In regards to Step 5, I don't believe you need to
supply the source code yourself; as long as it's unmodified, it should
be enough to link to openal-soft.org or the git repo, and they can get
the source at either of those places.

Standard caveat, I'm not a lawyer. But as the main developer of OpenAL
Soft, that's my understanding of the LGPL.